Moving can take a lot of time. If you have a large house or own a lot of stuff, it could take longer. If you are moving long distances, it could take longer still. Here are a few tips to help you determine how long your move will actually take.
Professional movers start with a baseline:
- One-bedroom apartments or studios typically take 2-3 hours
- Plan on 3-5 hours for a two-bedroom
- For three or four bedrooms, it could take up to 7 hours to move
- Five or more bedrooms can take 8 to 10 hours
Other Factors That Can Affect Your Moving Time
Of course, this is just a guideline. Other factors can affect the time it takes you to move. Consider the following factors in estimating how long it will take you to move.
- How many boxes you are packing
- Furniture you own (will any of it need to be disassembled and reassembled?)
- Accessibility to your moving truck from the door of your home
- Will you be navigating stairs while moving out or moving in?
- How many loose or unpacked belongings do you have?
- Do you have any fragile items such as expensive artwork, collectibles, breakables, electronics, etc.?
- How many movers will there be?
- Distance between your current residence and where you are moving to.
- Traffic situations (traffic congestion, construction, etc.)
- How many trips from one location to another will you have to make?
You should also plan your move, if possible, for days/months when the weather is nice but not too hot and try to move during off-peak traffic times. This will make for a faster, easier move.