Moving can be an emotional time. Saint Paul residential movers often witness the sadness their clients experience saying goodbye to their old house even when they are happy to move to a new home.
Steps to Moving Seamlessly With Your Utilities
When it comes time to move you’ll have to take your utilities with you. Leaving them behind means paying for services you aren’t using and that may even be benefiting someone else. So how do you make that move successfully? Shut off utilities too soon and you’ll be in the dark at your old place. Move them too late and you’ll be in the dark at your new home.
These are some simple steps you can take to make your utilities move go much more smoothly. Here’s what we recommend:
- Plan ahead. Waiting to the last minute to call the utility company and make the move is sure to result in you being in the dark – most likely at your new home or place of business. You need to give your utility company plenty of notice. Start at least three weeks out from your move date.
- Make a comprehensive list of utilities with phone numbers. Write them down. Will you need to transfer garbage collection? Electricity? Phone services? Water and sewage? Whatever utilities you happen to subscribe to will need to be transferred, so make a comprehensive list so that you don’t leave anyone out. The last thing you want is to move into your new home and realize you forgot to call the electric company.
- Get your payments current. Some utilities companies may not give your deposit back or delay your transfer if you fall behind on payments. Make sure you’re up-to-date on payments, and ask what you need to do to get your deposit back.
- Check the meters. The last thing you want to do when you move out of your old home or business is check the meters. If there is a billing discrepancy after you move, you’ll want to know what the meter readings were on the day you moved out. Take a picture with your cell phone, but also write down the meter readings and keep them in a safe place.
- Relax. After you move in and you’ve tested all of your utilities to ensure that your transfer was made successfully, relax and take a hot shower.